Nov 29, 2012
Microsoft recently held its Windows 8 and Office 2013 “Reimagine” events for customers and partners in Auckland and around the country. Some of you took time out to attend, but for those who didn’t here is a short summary
- Microsoft are trying to make PCs, laptops, tablets and smartphones work the same so the new start screen with live tiles looks very different from a Desktop.
- Don’t worry the desktop is still there and only a click away on PCs and laptops.
- Windows 8 is designed for Touch, Keyboard and Mouse so it does not restrict how you interact with your computer.
- There is a special Windows RT version for consumer tablets. You cannot run your existing Windows applications on this platform but the full Windows 8 is claimed to run 95% of applications that ran on Windows 7.
- Hardware partners are releasing a wide range of devices to suit the way we do business today and we can help you choose the right type of device.
Microsoft also demonstrated their Office 2013 release which is due shortly. I know a lot of you were excited by the demonstration and as soon as we have confirmed pricing and features for the new Office suites we will let you know. As always some Office editions cannot be used in a business environment so talk to us about what is right for you.