Apr 23, 2012
Microsoft has hinted at the Software Assurance benefits for the Windows 8 platform. If you have a 2 or 3 year renewable Software Assurance agreement on top of an existing Windows Pro license you will get the following benefits – some of which are a radical departure from Microsoft’s licensing model:
• Free upgrade to latest version to Windows 8 Enterprise
• Windows to Go that boots onto a “bring your own PC”. So you can have Windows on your company PC and another Home PC via a bootable USB key. This is a huge change as it allows home PC use with security however it does not say how that will affect other applications such as Office.
• Direct Access without a VPN into the corporate network
• App locker that restricts applications and files the user can run
• Windows 8 RT tablets gain the right to run a virtual copy on a server if you have a Virtual desktop environment
• If you apply to a Windows 8 RT tablet you can “side load” applications of your own avoiding the App Store only restriction